Thursday, October 22, 2009

22 Oct 2009: Mary Cook "More Fit for the Kingdom, More Used Would I Be"

What choices are helping me to be more fit for the kingdom?
How has the Lord used me for his purposes?
How can I do better?

Through agency we can make many choices to be better teachers and better parents.
Never overestimate your abilities; never underestimate what the Lord can do with your life.

We are here to build the kingdom of God

You will become a great asset to your family, your church and your community

Focus on character, conduct and citizenship.

As teachers, we have an incredibe influence in the community.

Choose the skills you wan to focus on.

D&C 88: Teach ye diligently and my grace shall attend you -
WHAT? Things which are at home, things which are abroad, the wars and perplexities of the world; we are to learn as much as we can
WHY? That you may be prepared when I send you again for the calling with which I have called you

How to find out:
Patriarchal blessing

Influence of teaching on motherhood
maternal education is closely tied to maternal sensitivity
strongest and most consistent predictor of a child's emotional, social, and intellectual devpmt
we are in the business of educating future mothers
sister cook never had her own biological children

Elder L. Tom Perry asked Sister Dalton to emphasize what we should teach
recognize that motherhood is a sacred role given by God
we must be those righteous role models so our children know and learn these skills
respect, cooking, cleaning

she was assigned to mongolia just after russians pulled out; just living took a great portion of my day

The more education someone has, the more likely to gain a testimony, serve in church callings, serve in leadership callings
Her husband: managing director of the PEF
In order to be a leader in the church, you need to have discretionary time!
10% of bishops were graduates of PEF
"They're sending missionaries to Mongolia? This must be the end of the world?"

I was the key to open b/c of education skills (esp in special ed), but my husband was the one to open door with all the govt leaders (volunteered in govt) - one year later they opened the door for missionary work later. He became mission president there. (Gerald Rogers, Natalie Romrell)

General Asst Controller at Ford, CPA (but never practiced) - Arthur Anderson doing accounting in Mongolia

Learn how to teach teachers to be better teachers
Do whatever possible to give praise wherever I see it
Cultivate love and righteousness
Be an instrument in His hands

It is our unique opportunity to serve in the community and be an influence for good
Alma 36
Title of Liberty
As teachers, we must build our own titles of liberty.
We must be free from spot.
We must raise our banner.
How many teachers have criminal records?
Our banner is to raise the eyes of others as they see the integrity of church members.

We must know the doctrines and clarify truth.


More fit for the kingdom, more used will I be.
51% of people interviewed don't know about Mormons
47% don't have a favorable view
31% view Mormons as Christians










My impressions:
Help me to know thy will, Heavenly Father. I will serve where you want me to be. Help me to know when to get pregnant. Help me to be open. I will serve where you want me to be. Help me cultivate the skills you want me to have. Help me offer the best gift I can - my gift, my unique abilities, my personality, my will, my heart. I will place these on the altar, dear Father.

We need to go to the temple
We need to read the scriptures more
We need to say our prayers with more clarity and direction
We need to be more financially fit
I need to be more prayerful as I seek direction about how to spend my time, talents, money

Listen First
Know the Doctrine (especially the facts! and live the facts!)
Live the Standard
Be Good Neighbors (What have I done kind for someone today?
Open our Mouths (Declare, Testify, Show/Be belief)
Extend Invitations (Include, Open up, Share)
Be Bodl, But Not Overbearing

Integrity (wholeness/completeness of what we know and what we do)
Be on your guard (sexual involvement with students? it's crazy! be on your guard)
People are not living virtuous lives - they need to learn this from teachers in schools!

We cannot teach religion in schools
But, we can make our own banner
We can be a good example and live what we believe

Stand where you stand
Certificates can help because they might acknowledge you more
Those who know, know - you won't need degrees for the smartest of people
We need degrees for those who don't know

Education of any and every type will help you be more used by the Lord
be a humble servant and you will be more used by the Lord
How great reason have we to rejoice!
Could we have know that, when we started from this land (of Bountiful, of Provo) that we would see such great blessings?

No comments:

Post a Comment